Day Seven/Volcano Blues


Yesterday, diet Day Seven, I took my soup to work as per normal, to discover one of the ingredients had soured overnight and the soup tasted vinegary. It didn’t appear to be very tasty or safe, so I ended up buying a salad and some water. For dinner I had brown rice and veg, as per requested.

Today? today I am 2lb up. Maybe even 3. So the diet for me was sorta? pointless.
In fact, even if we hadn’t cheated, I’m not sure if I would have felt much benefit. I generally don’t eat a lot as it is, so eating less wasn’t a bit step for me and my body probably didn’t think it was enough to push the weight off. If I’d kept up with the fruit/veges only, with the soup, I’m sure I would have kept losing, but eventually I would have been so cranky, Dave wouldn’t have wanted to stick around.
It helped me realise how I need a lot more fruit and veges in my diet, and a lot less dairy, but for now, not a lot has changed. And with the volcano drama, all I want is icecream and candy anyway.
Speaking of which.
I’m meant to be excited at this point, right? 3 days until I fly to see my family? but with the ongoing closure at Heathrow, the weather updates not being very helpful, and the airlines cancelling flights left and right, even those days in advance, I’m not feeling very positive about getting out or happy in general. I really really really want to see my family. I really really really need a holiday. I’ve done nothing but look forward to this for months, and I’m so very gutted that it could all fall apart any minute.
And even if the airports do open tomorrow, the backlog and drama of getting all the planes in the right places is just a nightmare. The amount of people trying to get out of Heathrow is going to be insane. Qantas are notorious for cancelling when they get a bit wary in the slightest, so I worry that there just won’t be any other option for me.
I don’t even know if I should pack. I’m tempted to leave it ’til Friday and wait and see. At at time when my life is a bit upside down, this is just the last thing I need right now.

Days Five and Six/Stuck in the UK


Day Five was so much easier. We were allowed 10-20 oz of beef/chicken/fish and 6-8 tomatoes. For brunch we had beef (Dave) and chicken (me), with a tomato sauce I made from canned/fresh tomatoes and herbs/spices. Dinner was the same. For lunch we were out with friends after some mini golfing and cheated slightly – we both had a diet coke and shared some nachos. So cheese, guacamole and crisps were involved, but only in a small quantity. I also had a pina colada. Oops.

I had bought Dave 550g of top sirloin steak so he enjoyed that as dinner for the two days. Not cheap! but he loved it.
Saturday night we met my friend Ruth and her partner Hamish and I had several gin and tonics until fairly late in the evening. Dave had beer. So that might have hindered us somewhat.

Day Six was today, and very similar, but vegetables were encouraged. Dave made a mix of beef, tomatoes and veg and we had that for lunch. Dinner was the same, but with some roasted veg. Not exactly exciting without the variety, but it served its purpose.
I have my doubts that I lost any weight on these two days, but didn’t get a chance to weigh, so I guess we’ll find out the final number tomorrow. Day Seven is brown rice/veges day, with the soup, which is bound to have a little weight loss and hopefully not be too bland. Dave is looking to make a sort of vegetarian jumbalaya.
In other news, who else hates this bloody volcano? hands up.
There always seems to be some sort of natural disaster or technical issue that tries to fuck with my holidays. My poor brother, who has been trying to get to Sydney since Thursday, is still stuck in London, and re-booked for Tuesday night. Any later and he’ll probably miss his best friend’s wedding (he’s the best man).
I’m trying to stay optimistic about my chances for Friday, and will start to panic on Wednesday if the situation hasn’t improved. It looks like they are aiming to re-open some of the airspace above Europe tomorrow, but the UK is still expected to be shut until at least 7pm tomorrow night. I am checking the regular updates from NATS and also reading pilot forums and airline press releases.
Hopefully the worst case scenario means I push back my trip a few weeks and go to New Zealand instead of Australia. Not quite the relaxing sunny holiday I was hoping for (with beaches, amusement parks, sun and an abundance of king prawns), but a good break nonetheless.
I just want to see my family, do some shopping, and not work for a few weeks. I really need a holiday, and a year without my loved ones has been one of the toughest things for me.
(If I’m still in Edinburgh on my birthday I better get lots of chocolate).