2009 was for me, like for many others, not one of the best years. I can say that 90% of the issues for me were financial (as you can probably tell from my gripe post below), but I also took a lot longer to settle in here than I thought, I missed home, I had much more illness than normal, and I felt a bit stuck, especially creatively.
Pros: Dave, Edinburgh, work, Dave, snow, sledging, winter wonderland, visitors, nice flat, Dave, temple.
Cons: Money, settling, cold, friends (or lack thereof), missing home, no keyboard/musical pursuits.
I spent the first 3 months of the year counting down the days, hours, minutes, seconds… all I could think about was getting to Scotland to be with Dave. And once I got here, I was so excited to be with him, but found my new environment a little unsettling, and I was surprised by how unprepared I felt. Surely the two countries weren’t so different? but yes, things were not how I was used to. And while I had fun mocking some aspects, I was slowly trying to absorb everything and move forward.
After just over 8 months of living here, I feel quite happy most of the time, and confused and sad at other points. The holidays were quite tough without my family, but I know that if I have the timezones right, they’re just a phone call away.
I am full of so much optimism for 2010, it’s sickening.
This time last year, I didn’t post any resolutions/goals on my blog, but I had them written down.
– Move to Scotland – check!
– Work out more, lose a little weight – check! (and then.. started eating and stopped exercising..)
– Write more music – failed. miserably. I moved overseas without an instrument, and then struggled to change that.
– Have time for me – check! plenty of evenings/mornings in bed with DVDs and/or books.
– Find a job that makes me happy – check! …in a way. I enjoy my job right now, but I’m not sure if it’s forever.
– Devote more time to my faith – check! I am involved with an amazing shul/Rabbi here, and thrilled to bits about it.
For this year:
– Use my Wii Fit every day. Be fit and more toned, lose a little weight. Be happy in my skin.
– Live more stylishly! Dress better, be less messy, try to be a little classier.
– Get piano. Play it often. Write often. Release often!
– Go to shul as often as I can.
– Go home for Christmas/Dan’s wedding.
– Steal from Sarah-Rose and start Project 365 (take a photo a day, post each week with a self-portrait).
– Happiness. Push myself more to get it.
I think that is an achievable list! I hope 2010 is an amazing year for everyone. I am really looking forward to making the most of this fresh start.