Being at the point where I’m about to wrap up 20 weeks of a long distance relationship (and then have 3 weeks together before another.. 20 weeks apart), I thought I would post some lessons learned and tips for others, just thoughts…
- Even if it’s just 5 minutes, make time for each other. Taking a few minutes at the beginning and end of each day to say I love you and I’m okay, or this is going on, makes a big difference to feeling involved in each others’ lives.
- Oh the internet. I respect the internet medium, and use it all I can. Skype is a wonderful tool. Hearing his voice and seeing his face is a thousand times better for our communication than reading what he writes.. it is so easy to misunderstand text.
- Involving each other, even across the world. Asking their opinion, telling them what’s bothering you.. like a real relationship, even.
- Honesty is awesome.
- Where were you last night? who were you with? and who is she? is she prettier than me?
- Try not to let your phone run out of credit in the middle of a text conversation. “Oh yeah. I’m out with this guy James. Man have I been drinking tonight! woo!”
- Trust goes a long way, obviously.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Learn more, grow still. Don’t put the relationship “on hold”, as it were. Develop it as you would if they were here. Ask each other things.
- Watching a movie over Skype is fun, but pick a time of day where one of you isn’t going to fall asleep.
- Have a date to look forward to. Knowing that you’re not in an LDR forever makes a big difference.
The long and short is, if they’re worth it, it can be done. If you love them, it can be done. If you work at it and are realistic about how hard it’ll be, it can be done.
The payoff, my friends, is so worth it.